Every year hundreds of new electronic gadget models are launched into market, offering even more funnier, useful or practical content for more affordable prices. But one thing never changes: they all emit WiFi radiation and all use wireless connection technology.
Although more and more cell phones, smartphones and tablet models are introducing child-friendly content, games that supposedly encourage development of cognitive abilities and other learning programs, there is a legitimate concern children are getting unhealthy and dangerous levels of WiFi radiation while playing with their favorite shiny new toys.
Tablet for kids?
Overuse of technology has negative physical and psychological consequences on children. These are some things to think about before you decide to buy your teen a new tablet in her favorite color:
1. Kids are more vulnerable to electromagnetic fields. Kids are generally more vulnerable to toxic agents than adults, whether it’s alcohol, tobacco, pesticides and other dangerous chemicals or WiFi radiation. Their bodies, cells and immune system are still developing and exposure to microwaves may create serious long term health consequences. Children’s bone density and muscle structure is lower, so they absorb more electro-magnetic waves. EMF levels which may be safe for adults are not safe for kids.
2. Wi-Fi radiation is more dangerous than cell phone EMFs. Mobile phones have been categorized as possible carcinogens by WHO. They emit strongest waves while establishing calls. However, wireless internet antenna emits Wi-Fi radiation constantly until switched off. Additionally, we spend a lot more time using internet than talking over mobiles.
3. Safety guidelines were designed for adults, not kids. Children vulnerability to electromagnetic fields was never considered while creating instructions on minimum distance between device and body.
4. Exposed in school, at home, restaurant or friend’s house. Wireless routers have almost completely replaced cabled internet. Some experts recommend use of technology for children under age of 12 should be limited to no more than 2 hours per day. Effects of electromagnetic field exposure are cumulative. Consider how much time your child is exposed to WiFi radiation from various sources each day.
5. Technology changes pace of child’s development. Movement and healthy physical activity enhances body coordination, brain development and cognitive brain functions. UK teachers have reported today’s kids can swipe tablets, but cannot figure out how to use simple toys such as building blocks.
6. Kids become addicted faster. Technology is addictive. Many adults have problems in balancing their time spent on internet, tablets and other electronic hand-held devices, even though they have ability to understand negative consequences of internet/games/social networking addiction. Children have even less chance in successful fighting against wonders of internet, if they have access to it without proper supervision from parents.
7. Overexposure to electronic screen causes stress response. Constant light flashing (especially in games), bright colors and high-speed bombardment with information causes hyper arousal and over stimulation of nervous system. It has negative effects on concentration, memory, mood swings and social interactions.
8. Too much into games or internet – no time to sleep. Checking for new text messages, finishing just one more game level, watching just one more clip on Youtube – most kids use mobile gadgets before bedtime. It disturbs their natural biorhythm and leads to sleep deprivation.
9. Lack of physical activity due sedentary behavior creates obesity. One in four Canadian children is obese. Obese kids are at higher risk from developing diabetes, heart diseases and later through life tend to have more difficulties in losing weight.
10. Exposure to violence, internet bullying, misuse of private information. Kids lack experience and critical thinking in understanding dangers of internet. It’s harder to supervise kids who use mobile hand-held electronic devices rather than classic computers, who can be placed in i.e. living rooms, where parents can see how kids spend time on internet.
Let's conclude with simple fact that we all, sometimes, forget about.
Tablets, smartphones and mobile computers ARE NOT toys!
For more information on harmful effects of WiFi radiation, please read wireless radiation exposed: facts, symptoms, risks and protection.